What we would do for a slice of Sal’s Pizza right now! Our Saturday night is going to consist of home made pizza making to curb that craving! It’s such a quick and easy meal, and a great way to get the kids in the kitchen. Here’s how to make a perfect pizza base from scratch, and some toppings inspiration. ENJOY!
1/3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp sugar
2 tsp olive oil (or any other oil)
1/2 cup water (cold tap water)
1 tbsp extra flour, for dusting
- Place dry ingredients in a bowl, and mix to combine. Add water and olive oil, mix until flour has soaked most of the wet ingredients up.
- Sprinkle chopping board with flour, then knead for 3 to 4 minutes until it’s as smooth as you can get it, using more flour only if needed.
- Dough should be soft and elastic, and not stick to your hands.
- Shape dough into a ball. Roll out into a 30cm circle.
- Transfer to baking tray. Use your fingers to pull from the centre to fill the tray to the edge – avoid pinching the edges (to ensure puffy crust!)
- Top with your favourite toppings (see our) inspiration list below, and bake for approximately 12 minutes – or until the cheese is melted and the base has browned.
Everyone is different, but here are our favourites!
- Tomato paste to spread on the base
- Pesto to spread on the base
- Mozzarella cheese
- Tasty cheese (we love mixing these together for the texture of the mozzarella, and the taste of the Tasty)
- Red onion chopped into small pieces
- Garlic cloves chopped finely
- Red capsicum
- Button mushrooms chopped finely
- Chili flakes
- Salt & pepper