One thing we have been craving this lockdown is sushi from our favourites at Sushi Masa, so we thought we would give you a quick and easy guide on how to make it at home. Everything on this list can be bought from the supermarket – either in store or online depending on your circumstances. It’s also a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen!
Pop into your local supermarket. Please note – you can choose whatever you like to go in your sushi. The following fillings are suggestions only:
- Sushi rice
- Rice wine vinegar
- Caster sugar
- Fillings: Cumber, smoked salmon, tuna, chicken, red pepper, avocado
- Soy sauce
- Pickled ginger
- Mayonnaise (we love Kewpie)
Now let’s get started!
- 300g sushi rice
- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp golden caster sugar
- 25g bag seaweed sheets
- Recommended fillings: cucumber, smoked salmon, canned tuna, teriyaki chicken (cook first), red pepper avocado.
- Sushi mat for rolling
- Cover the sushi mat with clingwrap.
- Cook rice and combine the rice ingredients.
- Place a seaweed sheet shiny side down on top of the mat, dip hands in rice wine vinegar and then place down rice evenly over the top (1cm thick). Leave the edge of the seaweed empty.
- Optional, combine Japanese mayo ingredients and spread over the top of the rice (or leave as a dipping sauce for your sushi).
- Add your fillings towards the centre of the seaweed. (If you have bought uncooked chicken, cook it and let it cool in the fridge while you chop up and add the other fillings).
- Using the sushi mat, lift the edge of the mat and roll it tightly making sure everything keeps together.
- Slice in pieces, plate and enjoy your homemade sushi.
Tips to make your sushi that little bit better
Make your own Japanese mayonnaise
While you can easily get Japanese mayo from your supermarket is always more fun to make it, here are the ingredients you will need:
- 3 tbsp of regular mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce